Tuesday, June 19, 2018

LADYBABY Natalie Interview Part 1

I tend to translate articles and interviews from the same groups, so I was looking for something different. I've become more interested in LADYBABY with the new lineup, so when I saw this Interview on Natalie last month, I thought it would be a nice change of pace.


"The new system will transcend genre and structure"

Ladybaby will release their new single "Hoshino nai Sora" on May 30th.

In February of this year, 3 new members joined the group: Ikeda Nana (Nana Chyamu), Arima Emiri, and Karasawa Fuka. The group also changed it's name from "The Idol Formerly Known as Ladybaby" back to "Ladybaby", as they were originally known. After announcing the new 4 member system, they embarked on their One Man Tour "LadyBaby - Tour 2018 Sadame", and recorded the Single "Hoshino nai Sora". The Reborn LadyBaby spoke with Natalie about how the new members joined, the activities under the new system, and the future goals of the group.

"Rather than saying I wanted to become an Idol, I wanted to be in Ladybaby"

--In Feb. of this year, in addition to kaneko Rie, 3 members joined the group to create a new 4 member system. first, I'd like to ask the new members how they joined the group. Arima, you went to the audition didn't you?

Arima (Emiri): I like Metal and had listened to Ladybaby's music, so I knew there was an audition in January. I'm from Hyogo, but moved to Tokyo the month before, so it was very good timing.

--Have you gone to other auditions?

Arima: Not at all. I went to the audition because it was for Ladybaby. Rather than saying I wanted to be an Idol, I wanted to be in Ladybaby. About 3 years ago, I was a Vocalist in a metal band doing the Death Voice and Screams, so it would be great if I could make use of that experience.

Kaneko (Rie):
At the time of the audition, I saw videos of Emiri singing with the Death Voice. I was so captivated, it was like love at first sight.

--Then after you joined, a costume with shoulder pads and thrones/spikes, like something out of Mad Max of Hokuto no Ken, was made (laughs).

Arima: It looks like a Gundam.

--Did you think you would wear something like this?

Arima: I never thought about it (laughs). But it's a nice feeling. It's allot of fun.


--So, Kaneko, what was your impression after watching Arima?

Kaneko: Aside from the Death Voice, Emiri's vocals have a high level of expression, and they're indespensible to Ladybaby. On top of that, she's necessary for Ladybaby's humanity.

--Can you explain a bit more?

Kaneko: I'm not very straightforward. Up until now, Ladybaby wasn't stoic. I realized that a stoic quality is necessary for the current Ladybaby.

"I don't dream about the future"

--Karasawa also went to the Audition.

Karasawa (Fuka): (nods and smiles)

--Since this is an interview, why don't you say something (laughs). Why did you take part in the Audition?

Karasawa:
I don't dream about the future.

--It's suddenly gotten very serious (laughs).

Karasawa: I'm concurrent in the Idol Group "Wareraga Pawa Pawa Pawa Pawa" which started activities two years ago. After becoming active, I became more interested in the Entertainment Industry, so I knew about the Audition for Ladybaby. I want to have various experiences while I'm at the age when you can do anything, so I undertook the Ladybaby Audition.


--Were you familiar with Ladybaby?

Karasawa: Yes, I was. The group was cool. I enjoyed myself, and felt like I was enjoying life. It made me feel more human.

--However, Wareraga PPPP feels very Idol-like, while the atmosphere of Ladybaby is very different.

Karasawa: I think it's interesting because I feel like I can explore different sides of myself.

--Is it difficult to hold a concurrent position?

Karasawa: You said you thought I was serious, but I've never thought about it.

--So, what does it feel like starting activities with Ladybaby?

Karasawa:
Everyday is fun. Live performances are very intense. I always wanted to do a live like this.

--Kaneko, what kind of impression do you get from Karasawa?

Kaneko: Recently, I've started doing Fortune Telling using Tarot Cards. The first card, the Magician, has the symbol of Infinity on top of it's head. That kind of image comes to mind with Karasawa. There's no limit to what she can do.

--I see.

Kaneko:
I think Karasawa is someone who can break down her experiences, absorb them, and use them to open up many different possibilities. At the time of the Audition, there were other girls that appealed to the cool aspect of Ladybaby. Of course, I was glad that they knew about Ladybaby, but Karasawa came to the Audition with her pigtails and gave off a strong impression of an Idol. At first, she was nervous speaking at the Audition, but when she started to sing and dance, she shined very brightly. It was then that I felt like I was back in Middle School watching all the shining Idols and thought "this girl is amazing!". I think she can accomplish what I couldn't with Ladybaby up till now, so I wanted to go down this path.

--She was someone who gave off the feeling of potential/possibility.

Kaneko: She has guts too. I'm also concurrent with Trolleattroll (Kaneko's solo project). It's enough just to be in 1 group, but I'm in 2 at the age of 16 and trying to balance it with my studies, so I think this new method is wonderful.
 
Karasawa: I'm glad! It's a new type that is growing and receiving praise.

Kaneko: It seems to be increasing (laughs).


"Losing the [JK] Brand"

--Ikeda, you were scouted, weren't you?

Ikeda (Nana): I'd been working as a Model for a long time, but after graduating from Highschool, the JK Brand was no longer available to me, so I was wondering how to proceed. Self branding as a model is the most important, so when I lost the JK title, I did my best to create a new brand as a model. I also became interested in what goes on behind the scenes in the Fashion Industry, so I was considering this when Rie contacted me.

(*The JK Brand isn't actually a clothing brand, but refers to High School age girls who model. I guess once you graduate from High School, you fall out of that category)
 

--So the idea of becoming an Artist and an Idol wasn't spontaneous?

Ikeda: That's right. Since I was little, I liked to stand in front of people, and there was a time when I wanted to
become an Idol. I wrote these feelings on SNS, and Rie read it and that led to me joining Ladybaby.

Kaneko: I was actually doing an Ego Search and discovered that Nana wrote that "Kaneko Rie is cute". From there, I went back through her tweets and saw that she wrote about wanting to become an Idol.

Ikeda: This gave me the opportunity to speak with Rie. As we talked, I learned various things, and about Rie's way of thinking, and I thought I might be able to work with her in the Entertainment World from now on. I took a risk on this opportunity. The timing was perfect and it felt like destiny to be able to work together. I might never have this opportunity again. After meeting Rie, allot has changed.


--Were the two of you acquainted before you made the offer?
 
Kaneko: We had both gone to the "Super Teens - Ultra Teens Fes" Fashion Event, so I knew about Nana then. At that event, when I passed by Nana, I felt like something was there, and it stuck with me. So when I thought about what do about the new members, I remembered the tweet I mentioned earlier and invited Nana to join. After making the offer, I said "If you really don't want to do it, you can refuse". But Nana said she wanted to do it, and her determination was so firm that I thought we could do good activities and she officially joined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peri Ubu - 2You Magazine Interview

*This interview was published on 2020.3.24. Peri Ubu has gone in an entirely different direction. After BiS disbanded in May 2019, sh...