Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Peri Ubu - 2You Magazine Interview

*This interview was published on 2020.3.24.


Peri Ubu has gone in an entirely different direction. After BiS disbanded in May 2019, she started new activities as a solo artist and everything is now 100% about Peri Ubu. She can wear any kind of clothes she likes and do whatever she wants musically. Peri Ubu is creating a new Peri Ubu. Her appearance makes us think that she can be a role model in an era where being true to yourself is what's right in the world. Holding these new values, we've published this interview with Peri Ubu as she begins building a new era. A spirit hungry for a shining world, keep your eye on Peri Ubu who strives to become an icon of this new era.

--Suddenly, I heard that Peri Ubu became a solo and is going in a whole new direction.

Peri: Yay! I'm shining brightly!

--After BiS disbanded, you started activities faster than anyone else. On the day of the final live performance, you started an Instagram and announced a photo exhibition.

Peri: While in BiS, I learned that speed is life. So, I opened an Instagram account right after the live ended. There was a special party until the next morning, but I was glad to hear allot of people say they followed me. I did the photo exhibition with a make-up artist who also worked with BiS, so it was interesting.

--At the time, it was a freelance activity, right?

Peri: I was freelance for about three months before I joined my current office. I was impatient, but also not in a hurry to decide. I wanted to be careful and not have to change offices later on, so I made my decision when I was able to say "I want to do it with these people!". I think I made a good choice. It's an environment where I can do what I want.

--I can see that when looking at you now. It's really cool to see you coming into your own.

Peri: I want to put out energy like "Wow!". Can you see it?

--Absolutely. I'd say Peri Ubu has become whole.

Peri: I'm glad! The second half of BiS was very sad. As a group, we showed allot of painful and heartbreaking things to our fans, didn't we? But that was BiS at that time, and I think it was very real. It's because of those activities that I'm hungry for happiness right now. I want fans to laugh and I want to laugh too. I don't have to worry about anything, so I want to enjoy it as much as possible. So I want to pursue happiness as a new Peri Ubu.

--The vehicle for pursuing this happiness became fashion and music. You've created a new genre called Peri Ubu.

Peri: That's right! I want to create a genre called Peri Ubu! When I thought about what I wanted to do as a solo artist, the visual image that came to me was "I want to make everyone happy with dazzling fashion and cool music". I love to express myself. I want to think about how to make the invisible visible and try answering questions that haven't been answered yet. I also like choreography because I want to make it fun to see. I'd like to find a way to connect with people that can also be enjoyed visually. So I would be happy if this became a new genre called Peri Ubu.

--You can enjoy the way of expressing Peri Ubu with all five senses. The affinity between fashion and music is a new approach for Peri Ubu. It adds an increased value to your image.

Peri: I'm very conscious of that. I hope that more people can do what they like and say what they like.

--You've been very open about having eye surgery.

Peri: Oh, I forgot I had plastic surgery (laughs).

--You don't have to be afraid to be yourself, right? But Japan still has to accept it.

Peri: I wonder about that. I should probably talk about it since I had plastic surgery. I want to be cute. I want to create a world where a girl who has plastic surgery doesn't have to hide it.

--That way of life seems to be supported as a fashion icon.

Peri: I want to become what girls dream about. By being in the public eye, I have the courage to take action. It can be plastic surgery or anything else, but if you're worried about it, you should do it. I think Japan will become more interested in what you like the more you explore it. I think it's good to stay true to what you like. Don't be impatient with what High Schoolers like. They are the ones who will shape the world!

--I think Peri Ubu intuitively does what she wants. Not only with fashion, but with the music that she records. I think it's great that you've gotten better about having the intuition to dive into what you like and have fun with it.

Peri: That's 100% Peri Ubu. Every day is really fun.

--Peri's compatibility with club music is outstanding.

Peri: Right! When I was in BiS, I happened to listen to EDM in Ike-san's car (the group's manager). I could feel the drums in my body and said "this is super fun!". Immediately after hearing it for the first time, I thought "I like this kind of music". After a while, when I thought about what kind of music I wanted to do as a solo, I wanted to pursue the kind of music that would define Peri Ubu, so I thought "I want to make music like I heard in the car at that time". But I didn't know the word EDM and told the staff "I want to do Hip-Hop". Then I heard the song and it was totally different. "This isn't Hip-Hop!" (laughs).

--(laughs)

Peri: The songs they sent me were too relaxing (laughs). I wanted something with more beats and I said "wrong!" because I was thinking of a noisy music (laughs). A little bit later, I learned it was called EDM (laughs).

--To express what Peri Ubu wants to do, EDM is extremely fitting.

Peri: I like colorful fashion and like to wear flashy clothes. When I thought about what music fits that the best, EDM was the closest. That's why there's fashion and then music, but the order might be a little strange.

(*I think Peri means that she came up with her fashion style first and then the music genre. Maybe she thinks it's strange to do it in that order)

--No, it's very healthy. And because the music, fashion, and your way of life really match, I wonder if Peri Ubu will become an icon if it spreads to High School girls.

Peri: I want that! I want to make it popular! Um, how do you say it? Do you know what Pa-Pi-Pu-Pe-Po is?

--Pa-Pi-Pu-Pe-Po?

Peri: Yes! Pa-Pi-Pu-Pe-Po!

--Uh...what's that?

Peri: How would you say a popping sound like Pa-Pi-Pu-Pe-Po?

--Is it half-voiced?

Peri: Yes! Japanese people like the Pa-Pi-Pu-Pe-Po sound, which sounds like half-voiced sound. Puchin, purin, etc. (*she's referring to Flan). So Peri Ubu might have a chance. I'd be happy if Peri Ubu became popular among High School girls. It would be great if a girl looked up to me and I became an influence on her life.

--Like Amurer or Shinorer who were popular in the 90's.

Peri: Oh, that's it!

(*Amurer is the name for Namie Amuro fans who imitated her fashions. The Japanese word would be Amura. Basically just adding a "ra" to the name or "er" in English. It originated in the Kansai region where women who loved the Chanel brand were called "Chanellers". Another example would be "Visualer". These were men with long hair who wore long black coats imitating bands like GLAY.

Even though the interviewer is saying that Peri could become a trendsetter among school girls, I don't think she means it will be as widespread as the Amurers in the 90's. Btw, Shinorer, or Shinora in Japanese, refers to fans of Tomoe Shinohara, a singer and multi-talented artist who popularized a brightly colored, layered fashion style that is still popular today. It's been featured in magazines like Fruits and Layers.)

--Like a Perer.

Peri: You sound so fluent (laughs). Peri Ubaer? (*She really says Ubara, but I'm trying to be consistent with my translation, lol) Perya? I think it was super popular in that era. Recently, I've been watching old dramas and it's really popular in "Ikebukuro Westgate Park" (*aired in 2000).

(*Peri uses "pera pera" which can mean "fluent" or "flimsy", so I'm not 100% sure which one)

--Oh, the color gang.

Peri: The color gang is cute. I also want to do that. Everyone wore green in Shibuya. Wouldn't it be nice to do it now?

(*Abbreviated as "IWGP", Ikebukuro Westgate Park focuses on juvenile delinquents and street gangs among other things)

--If Peri-san leads the way, then the city will be overflowing with Peras.

Peri: I'd be happy if that happened. I won't give up on doing what I want. I want to wear the clothes I like and sing all kinds of music. I want to meet people in person instead of using SNS. By living this way, I want to create a world where all girls of this era can live their lives however they want. As Peri Ubu, I would like to send this message. Don't worry about what other people think and do what you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Peri Ubu - 2You Magazine Interview

*This interview was published on 2020.3.24. Peri Ubu has gone in an entirely different direction. After BiS disbanded in May 2019, sh...