Friday, May 17, 2019

Last Idol - 6th Single Interview with Tokyo Popline - Part 1

Last Idol have a lively discussion when the 1st and 2nd Gen meet.
What do they want to do next after the "Walking Art"?


On March 23rd and 24th, a collective performance referred to as "Walking Art", which took 3 months of practice, will be presented at the B.LEAGUE held in Kawasaki City's Tororo Arena with 52 members. The title song of this single is sung by all 52 members, and the element of "Walking Art" was incorporated into the choreography becoming a work that cannot be imitated (duplicated) by any other group.

At this time, we spoke with 5 members of Last Idol, Abe Nanami (LaLuce), Nagatsuki Midori (LaLuce/Chou Cream Rockets), Majima Wakana (Someday Somewhere), and Shinoda Moe and Hata Misaka (2nd Gen) about the core theme of the new single.

"Now that you've accomplished this with all 52 members, what would you like to do next in the fashion of the 'Walking Art'?"

--Thank you for your hard work on the production of "Walking Art". I watched the performance on the 1st day at the venue, and it was a huge success. Did you cry after the performance?

Everyone: (nodding)

Midori: I started crying when I was alone even before it started... (laughs). I couldn't help it. The tears didn't stop until the moment right before the performance started. Once again, I was getting overwhelming because I wanted it to be successful. After it was over, I cried myself to death (laughs).

--What did you talk about after it was over?

Wakana: I couldn't talk at all (laughs). I cried so much that I couldn't get any words out and I was out of breath.

--What did your Supervisor say to you?

Midori: "All of you were amazing!". In the beginning, he said "What are you supposed to be?". However, the day before yesterday, he started saying "Amazing!" and that we were "courageous and really great", so I cried again (laughs).


--How was the performance on the 2nd day?

Wakana: Instead of crying, the 2nd day was filled with a sense of accomplishment, like "we did it right!".

Moe: I was really nervous on the 1st day, and couldn't focus on the audience or what was going on around me. However, on the 2nd day, I was able to relax and give a better presentation. I could smile during the performance of "Otona Survivor", and was able to express my true self.

--"Otona Survivor" was unveiled for the first time.

Abe: There are allot of times when we don't have allot of time to practice before we go out to perform. This time, we had allot of practice time. After we worked things out as best as we could, we prepared for the performance. Allot of customers were there beforehand, and they gave us shouts of encouragement, so I was relieved that we had a good performance.

--I think that the "Walking Art" was a challenge that Last Idol could undertake only after becoming 52 members. Now that you're a group of 52, is there anything else you want to do with this formation?

Midori: Yes! A Sports Day! (Everyone raises there hands)

Moe: Oh, I want to do that!

Midori: After this, I know who has good reflexes and who doesn't. I also have bad reflexes, so it would be more like a competition between the staff, so I'd rather see a contest between the members with good reflexes.

--You want to have a Sport Day, but you don't want to participate in the competition? (laughs)

Midori: Yes. Just let me roll the big balls. Otherwise, leave me out of it (laughs).

(*the big balls refer to a competition where several members roll a giant ball, about as tall as they are, to one end of a goal and then back again to their team. The object is for all the members of the team to roll the ball before their opponents)

--What's makes reflexes so important in this?

Midori: It's everything.

Moe: That's not it!

Midori: Well then (considering Abe and Wakana), these 4 might not be any any good (laughs).
(to Misaka) What do you think?

Misaka: How should I judge it? I'd say we're all average.

Midori: Wow, that's great!

Wakana: An average assessment is great!

Moe: Really?

Midori: (to Abe) What can you do?

Abe: I can jump the hurdles.

Moe: Are you fast?

Abe: Not really...

Midori: Well, then she's going to skip the relay (laughs). We'll do our best in the obstacle course and the ball rolling.

Everyone: (Laughs)


--Is there anything else you'd like to do?

Wakana: I'd like to do something like a stage play or a drama. We all want to shoot a drama. That's the path for an Idol isn't it, to shoot a drama with everyone? We all want to work on 1 thing together, and to overcome another obstacle with everyone, so I think I'd like to do something like this again.

Abe: I want to draw a picture.

The other members: A picture?

--Would you all draw 1 picture? Would you draw one after the other?

Abe: One by one...I want to paint a landscape (laughs).

Wakana: Something like that?! (laughs).

--That's interesting (laughs). On the other hand, even though there are more things you can do with this formation, you have to show your individual personality among 52 members. That must have been especially difficult for the 2nd Gen. What do you think?

Moe: I think that the members are not only friends, but also rivals, so I need to show my strength and personality within this formation. The chance to show what you can do is limited here, so I have to figure out on my own the best way to do that.

--Moe, what kind of character would you like to have in the 2nd Gen.?

Moe: It would be good if I expressed my opinions more. Many members in the 2nd Gen. haven't done anything in the entertainment industry until now. Because we're aware of this difference, we should talk express ourselves more so we can improve.

--What about you Misaka?

Misaka: Even though I host a variety program on Showroom called "Last Idol's 2nd Gen. Evening Distribution", I often have trouble understanding my character. I'm the oldest among the 2nd Gen. members, but I don't know what position I should have or what I should look for.

Moe: But I think that's a strong character.

Midori: I think so too.

Misaka: Really? What kind of character?

Midori: Fluffy.

Everyone: (Laughs)

(*Midori says "Fuwa Fuwa". The literal translation is "Fluffy", but there's a bit more to it. It can mean something that is soft and fluffy, like an animal or clothing, but it can also refer to the lightness of a cake or marshmallows)

Misaka: I think it's just the way I talk (laughs)

Midori: The way you dress too. Very fluffy. I'd like to copy that style in the Spring.

Misaka: Oh, I'm glad! I don't really wear clothes that are fluffy. I just post about them on SNS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peri Ubu - 2You Magazine Interview

*This interview was published on 2020.3.24. Peri Ubu has gone in an entirely different direction. After BiS disbanded in May 2019, sh...