Tuesday, June 4, 2019

1st Anniversary Special: PandaMania feat. the "Oreo Pandance"!


I happen to notice the other week that's it's been a year since I made my first post on this blog. Since it's the 1st Anniversary, I thought I should do something special. I mainly translate interviews, blogs, and comments from 2ch/5ch, but I would like to create some original content as well. I've been working on several projects, and one is almost finished, but something came up while I was browsing last night that I though would be better suited for this occasion.

At times like this, people tend to share something personal about themselves. Well, I have a bit of an affinity for Pandas. There's just something about these big, furry, black and white creatures that appeals to me. It can probably be traced back to an old video game. During one particular winter when I was younger, I had a really bad cold. Instead of sitting around being miserable, I decided to do something to take my mind off it. I looked through my PS2 game collection and came across Onimusha.

Set in the Sengoku Era, it was intended to be a Ninja themed version of the Resident Evil franchise. I had bought it several years before, played it for a bit until I got stuck, and then gave up on it. I figured I might as well give it another shot and see if I could get any farther. I started over from the beginning and, after a couple weeks, was able to finally beat it. The relevant part of this story is that when you finish the game, you unlock alternate costumes for the two playable characters, Samurai Yamanosuke and Ninja Kaede. Yamanosuke has the stranger of the two options. He wears a panda suit, complete with a removable head sporting an evil grin.


As bizarre as it may seem, this left a lasting impression on me. Since then, I've taken a keen interest in anything Panda related. All you need to do is add these black and white critters to the mix, and you've got my attention. This Gaara fanart is a favorite of mine.



When my favorite Idols are paired with pandas, it brings a smile to my face.




When they dress as pandas, it's a little creepy, but I still find it adorable.

Just so long as they never go full Panda.


No, Kanako, just...no...


Which finally brings me to the item that inspired this post. Back in March, there were strange Panda sightings in Tokyo, Shizuoka, Fukuoka, and various other places in Japan. People were surprised to see one roaming around like this and went to investigate.


It turned out to be "Oreo Panda", the new mascot of the company.
It's all part of the new add campaign "Isshoni Asobo (Let’s play together)". The Panda was chosen as the brand ambassador because of people's desire to play with Pandas and touch them (If you aren't aware, the Japanese really love Pandas). Up to this point, Oreo Panda has been pretty laid back. All this would change with his appearance in Osaka where he debuted the "Oreo Pandance".

The culmination of the project is the Music Video that was released on May 20th. In this homage to 80's CMs, Oreo Panda is joined by Ryoko Onee-san, who helps round up the children for the dance. This is a collaboration with Tomioka Dance Club, who shot to stardom after their "Bubbly Dance" performance at the 2017 National Dance Off went viral (iirc, I was first introduced to them on NHK World's J-Melo program the year before, so I was happy to see them get their big break). I'm not sure about the girl who plays Ryoko Onee-san, but the older girls in the back of the formation are most likely the Tomioka Dance Club members who participated in the collab.


I don't know who composed the song, but the choreographer for the Oreo Pandance is none other than the Coach of Tomioka Dance Club, akane. She really outdid herself this time.


Oreo Panda will continue making appearances across Japan, so keep an eye out for him.

And this brings the 1st Anniversary Special to a close. I enjoyed sharing my love of pandas and offering a brief insight into my personality. I'll continue bringing my usual interview translations over the next year, as well as original projects covering various music related topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peri Ubu - 2You Magazine Interview

*This interview was published on 2020.3.24. Peri Ubu has gone in an entirely different direction. After BiS disbanded in May 2019, sh...