Monday, October 14, 2019

Lil' Fang shares her thoughts on turning 25

25's View #8 Lil' Fang
"Neither an Adult nor a Child. Who are we?"


It's said that age 25 is a turning point in life. What do you feel at this milestone?
For the 8th edition, the Artist this time is Lil' Fang.

(*This series is interviewing 25 people about their experiences turning 25 yrs. old and documenting it with photos)

--Please introduce yourself.

I'm Lil' Fang from the Girl's Group "FAKY". I'm 25 and from Tokyo. I'm a singer.

--What do you feel now that you're 25 yrs. old?

25 was a turning point for me. One of the original members of FAKY left the group, and new members joined. I also developed vocal chord polyps for the first time. I'd been singing for 10 yrs. and had never gotten sick. I was also worried because of the change to the line up. I was thinking about how to live my life as a singer, and because of the situation, it became hard to sing.

At that time, I had to face myself. It would be better to say I was conflicted. In my condition, I could only speak faintly, so the other members and I were concerned. I said that "For people who live to sing, it's no good to stop the life of a song just for such a moment. I will stop activities and focus on treatment."

It seemed like the best thing was for me to get back to 100% as soon as possible. After the surgery, I could take my mental recovery slowly, but would be able to sing again quickly.

More than anything, I was shocked at how quickly everything changed. Things had been the same for so long, and now everything was different. To be honest, the impact of the situation made me feel even more serious about singing. Because I was able to overcome it with the help of the staff and group members, I feel like my connection with the songs and the members is stronger than ever before.


I've resolved to "Not retire until we sell". This resolution was greatly affected by past experiences. When I was 18, I received a call from Avex, but at the same time, I was meeting with an an Indies company, and I asked "will an album be released through the office?"


There were allot of people and a bunch of songs. They said "Even though we're a small company, I have all these people and we'll make something cool, so why don't you come here?"

I was lost. For me, I think that Art, Music, and the world of expression is a big part of my self satisfaction. I think the number of people who can empathize with your music is important. I wondered if I could achieve enough satisfaction on the Indies, so when I spoke with the Avex representative, I thought there was an opportunity to increase the amount of empathy and reach more people with Avex.

(*Empathize might sound like a weird way to put it, but I got some help and this is what Lil's Fang is saying)

When I spoke honestly about it with the Indies rep, they said "Of course you'd be happy if you came here, but I think you may not have allot of opportunities to grow. Keep going." So I signed with Avex and became a member of FAKY. Because I had this experience, I vowed "I can't quite until I sell".

I came to this company to sell, and to "continue music" in these surroundings. Although many people have changed their purpose, I don't want to waver. That's too scary.

I don't think it makes sense to release something without asking many people to listen. And even if I have a job that I don't like in the future, I will do it if it sells. I will prepare for the challenge.

(*This sentence was a bit tricky. I'm not completely sure, but it sounds like she'll do whatever it takes for FAKY to be successful, even it means doing things that she doesn't necessarily enjoy)


--What's your favorite motto?

The phrase "It takes great effort to surpass a genius". I'm a genius who has to work hard. I was strongly influenced by my Father's teachings.

--Is there anything you'd like to say to yourself 5 yrs. from now?

Well, I don't have expectations for the future in the first place. I don't have any specific dreams. It's like, I wanted to wear this today, but I might want to wear different clothes tomorrow. It's similar to that.

I don't want to sound too lame with my own words. They say you can't change your station in life without speaking. Sometimes I get tongue tied when something is imposed on me...Questions like "Which Artists do you like?" Because it changes from time to time, I try to answer with "I'm listening to 'so and so' right now."

I want to be able to do things in the moment! I want to live without too many distractions as much as possible. In regards to singing, I keep myself as open minded as possible. After that, no matter what I lose, whether it's friends, lovers, or parents, as long as I have my voice, I'll continue singing. It doesn't need to be re-affirmed however many years later.

Lil' Fang

25 yr. old Artist.

(*This isn't really necessary, but I translated the bio they wrote for Lil' because they include some things I didn't know about her)

Lil' Fang, who prefers bleached short haircuts and fashion with a twist, her biggest weapon is her overwhelming singing ability. She's also received great acclaim from BACK-ON members who collaborated on the Opening Theme for the Anime "Gundam Build Fighters" and "Wimp ft. Lil' Fang (From FAKY)". Before joining FAKY, she became a hot topic by performing covers of Western songs in Shibuya clubs, and boasts a surprisingly wide range of genres from HIPHOP and Anime to Western Rock. The name "Lil' Fang" was given to her by her music teacher. As the name suggests, her singing voice has a sharp edge that pierces the hearts of those who listen to it, drawing them into the warm embrace of FAKYWORLD. She is currently appearing on the Internet Radio Show "Gojirepu" that specializes in HIPHOP with Akina serving as the MC.

FAKY

"Next Generation Girls Union FAKY" realistically pretending to be fake. The strongest 5 people with different roots and styles gather (=Union). "CANDY", released in 2016, was ranked 3rd on iTunes's overall top albums after Ariana Grande and Radiohead. "Surrender", announced in 2017, entered into US and Japan Top 10 and was included in the "Spotify Viral Top 50 chart". In July 2019, they announced the release of a dance single trilogy based around the themes of girl power. The MV for The first entry, "Girls Gotta Live", was released on August 23rd. With successful performances in Brazil and Canada, they've been drawing the attention of top creatives from various countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peri Ubu - 2You Magazine Interview

*This interview was published on 2020.3.24. Peri Ubu has gone in an entirely different direction. After BiS disbanded in May 2019, sh...