Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Last Idol - Natalie 1st Single Interview Part 2

*This was originally posted on OneHallyu on Dec. 31st, 2017. Since it was one of my earliest translations, it's a bit rough. I may go back and fix some things.



"The members from Rural Areas. How is their dialect?"

-- Koga-san (Yako) and Yoshizaki-san (Aya) are both from Fukuoka.

Aya: That's right. Actually, we have the same seniors nearby (*I guess they have the same senpai?).

Yako: In the beginning, when we had our first dance lesson together, I got excited when I heard that. You're lying! Do you know them?! (laughs)

Aya: At one time, I aimed to be a model and was enrolled at a local office. The result was't good at all. It was so surprising that we had a connection.

-- Do you two speak with Hakata-dialect often?

Yako: Aya normally uses a standard dialect, but when speaking to me, the Kyushu style returns.

Aya: I'm relieved. Ah, that dear fragrance of Fukuoka (laughs).

Midori: When the two to them are talking, the words of Kyushu transfer to us.

Aya: Really? It comes out?

Yako: I didn't notice at all. I use it unconsciously.

Midori: Because I am from Ehime, it  feels somewhat familiar. I will say "get out" if you notice (laughs).

-- Can I also challenge Midori-san about her local dialect?

Midori: (*She's basically talking about pronunciation)


(*Not sure about this) (Airi)

-- I think there many difficulties until the debut. How do you feel about it now?

Midori: Well, I've exhausted the word "incredible".

-- Because Nagatsuki-san lost once, the return was dramatic, wasn't it?

Midori: In the lyrics of the debut song "I will not be swayed by the Bandwagon", but in fact I keep being swayed (laughs).

Aya: The thing that I feel most strongly about is that it's been so long. About 4 months after the show began, I felt like I wanted to run away, but I could finally debut. Until then, it was really painful. So I tried to share my excitement by saying "we can finally debut!", but except for me, the response was weak (laughs). I was surprised at the response "What do you mean?".

Natsumi: Aya's the only one that cried (laughs).

Airi: That's not right! It didn't feel real. Is still doesn't!

Midori: "It's nice to be here. Is it really over? It feels suspicious" (laughs), so the reaction got weak.

Airi: That program is serious and harsh. My heart died. When the Interim members came down to only Aya and I, I saw our hopes leaving and I cried. Every time there is something happy, my spirit will collapse.

-- Even though you had a hard time, the joy is greater than if the group had debuted normally.

Haruka: I might feel that way.

Airi: I can't say I'd do it all over again (laughs).


"Every time we compete, the light in our eyes shines brighter" (Aya)

​-- In the program, the system allowed the Challenger to nominate their opponent. How does it feel to be nominated in that way?

Natsumi: The first time was scary! Since the girl who nominated me was an Idol and her singing was good, I thought it was dangerous. At the same time, I had a nice feeling. It's strange though. (*Not sure about the last sentence, so I'm leaving it out for now).

Haruka: I also understand. I was relieved because I was nominated at the time "3 Challengers Remain" and was not selected as an opponent at that time (*I thought Haruka did get challenged at the end so there might be an issue with this translation). About a month and a half after becoming a member, I had not been nominated for a long time. I only had one performance and wanted to be nominated early. Even though it's a show about survival, if you cannot confront it, there is no meaning (*I think she means that she wanted to confront it head on and survive another Battle to prove herself).

-- There is a strategy, there was a pattern that some names escape quietly without being nominated, right?

Haruka: At first, I thought so, but when you actually stand there, you wouldn't be able to say that.

Aya: I also wasn't nominated in the beginning. Some of the members that started together had already been nominated 3 times, so I was getting impatient. Because, every time we compete, the light in our eyes shines brighter. After all, it builds confidence. I felt I couldn't debut without being nominated.

Midori: Everyone is preparing so the match up can be decided (*Not sure about the last sentence. Something about being marked if you don't get chosen?).

-- What do you do specifically to prepare?

Midori: Of course, we practice singing and dancing, but comments are also important. Comment preparation...(*She might mean that you don't want to sound similar to other people's comments).

Everyone: (Laughs!)

Midori: Not only the comments, but the expressions when walking down the stairs. We try to give off a sense of intimidation, like "What?". This is a Battle, and when it's over (*the last phrase is confusing).

-- Midori-san is Militant (Laughs).

Airi: Conversely, I was only thinking about comments if I lost (Laughs). My loser comment was perfect. I didn't feel like winning.

-- It's different for everyone, isn't it? On the other hand, when nominating as a Challenger, what criteria did you use to choose your opponent?

Haruka: The difficult thing is that, even if the Interim member has talent, there might not be good compatibility. So when I came out as a Challenger, I chose someone who was similar to me. I chose Yamada Mahiro-chan (now in Someday Somewhere). She's good at dancing so I thought we were similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peri Ubu - 2You Magazine Interview

*This interview was published on 2020.3.24. Peri Ubu has gone in an entirely different direction. After BiS disbanded in May 2019, sh...