Thursday, July 25, 2019

Momoiro Clover Z, Natalie 5th Album Interview - Part 1

"14 Songs that you can sing because you have become adults"

Momoiro Clover Z's 5th Album "Momoiro Clover Z" has been released.

The self-titled album was released on the group's 11th Anniversary. In addition to the 5 songs that were released consecutively from last August - December, the album includes 8 new songs and 1 bonus track. Through a variety of songs that convey the image of "Show", you can feel that Momoclo have become adults. "The Diamond Four" is a pop tune with a rap composition, "More We Do" was composed by Chai, "Lady Mei" was provided by GLIM SPANKY, and "Momokuro no Norikazu Nippon Banzai" is a remake of the an older song "Momokuro no Nippon Banzai" (2011). Music Natalie talks with the 4 members about recording the album.

"There's so many things, I can't understand the flow of time"

--It's been a year since the release of the Best Of album "Momo mo jyu Bancha mo Debana" and your one man live in Tokyo Dome. There must have been allot going on during this period. Can we take a look back?

Reni: During the period when we were holding the "Momoiro Clover Z Japan Tour: Springtime of Life" throughout 47 prefectures (from April 2017 - December 2018), time moved really fast. Every weekend I was doing a live, and it always felt like the weekend came very soon. It feels like time passes more quickly as the years go by. During this time, there was also the Annual Spring concert "Momoclo Big Spring" in Kurobe city. I couldn't believe it had already been 1 year since we held the concert in Higashiomi!

Arin: I have the impression that we held allot of lives over the past year. Whichever month I look back on, I have allot of memories of those lives. More and more, I think that our time revolves around live performances.


--In addition to the big annual Summer and Winter concerts, You starred in your first musical, and all of Stardust's female Idol groups met/came together in one place for "Summer S".

Kanako: Ah, "Summer S" is also an event this year!

(*Summer S took place last year, so I think Kanako means "It was an event within this past year".  In the interview, they're talking about everything that's happened since around the 10th Anniversary concert, so Summer S was part of that time frame)

Shiori: Since last August, there was a plan to continuously release songs for this album, so the number of songs we've released as 4 members has increased. I think that Mononofu have some new favorites, and there were allot of opportunities to get their feedback on the new songs, so it was a fun and fulfilling year.

--Momota-san, looking back over the past year, do you feel anything?

Kanako: There was allot of overlap with the 10th Anniversary, so it was one thing after the other.  There was allot going on before we even reached the 10th Anniversary, and we collaborated on various things afterwards, so I think there was allot of celebrating. Because of this, I felt like I've lost all sense of time. The work I did this morning already feels like the old days, and even a week feels condensed. I realized that I can do allot of different things in one year.

--Like Takagi-san was saying, did it feel like time was moving faster than before?

Kanako: Yes, it did.

Shiori: It felt like a week went by in no time.

Arin: When I was in Elementary School, I'd think "It's still August!" (laughs).

Reni: Me too! When I was a student, I felt the passing of every day, so I kept my own regular cycle. But after graduating High School, more often I can't keep track of time.


"Agreeing to spend the night together in a Japanese Style Room"

--On the new album "Momoiro Clover Z", I heard that "Momoclo has become adults" is one of the themes. Among the members, do you feel that you have "become adults"?

Kanako: The subject of beauty comes up increasingly in our conversations. Recommending beauty methods, make up tools, face lotions, etc. Recently, we've been talking about whether or not to moisturize before applying make up. Our conversations are like "which lotion do you use?", so I think we've grown up a little. We're just like OL's (laughs).


Shiori: When I went traveling, I used to bring back pastries or other foods for souvenirs, but now I bring makeup goods.

Arin: You change the most in your teens and twenties, right? The way you look and how you think. I think it's a big deal to have experienced these changed together over the last 10 yrs. However, we haven't changed in some ways.

--Where do you think you still have childish tendencies?

Shiori: Being tempted by sweets (laughs). When one of the staff says "I'm going to buy tapioca", we all say "Yeah!" (laughs).

Arin: After working one day, I was tired and went to the dressing room. When I opened the door, I saw that some tapioca was there, and went "Kya!" and grabbed it right away (laughs).

Kanako: "There's tapioca there!" (laughs).

Reni: We're still interested in things that children like too. Recently, I've become addicted to riddles. It's not easy for adults to solve riddles (laughs).

Shiori: Reni-chan got hooked on them because she appeared on a Radio Program.

Kanako: Also, when we stayed overnight in a single room, Reni-chan got a little scared.

Reni: It was a Japanese style room...Suddenly the TV screen turned off even though I didn't touch it at all. I started getting scared and called the Manager and asked them to come to the room. He checked various things and found out it was because of the timer setting.

Shiori: It seemed like she was crying allot.

Reni: I was panicking and couldn't sleep.

Kanako: It's been a long time since we experienced "The problem of not being able to sleep at the Hotel". Shiori-san already overcame that.

Shiori: However, Reni-chan signed an agreement that stated "When we stay in a Japanese style room, let's stay in it together." It's because we like watching horror movies.

Reni: I'm the type that regrets watching them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Peri Ubu - 2You Magazine Interview

*This interview was published on 2020.3.24. Peri Ubu has gone in an entirely different direction. After BiS disbanded in May 2019, sh...